[WriteLog] Hum problems...

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Hum problems...
From: gtwilson@integrity.com (Gerald Wilson)
Date: Wed Feb 12 20:04:33 2003
Garry and others,
I did not see many solutions posted for your problem so I thought that I
might share my own experience.  I believe that it may be appropriate to post
these suggestions on the reflector as it may help others gain greater
enjoyment out of their usage of WriteLog's many soundcard utilization
features.

In my case during a recent phone contest, I was using the voice keyer with a
RIGblaster Nomic interface and a Kenwood transceiver.  During the contest, a
friend stopped by on the air to tell me my audio had a hum and was very
distorted.  This was the first person to give me that kind of report during
a very nice run, and I appreciated hearing the truth.  I use an old Heathkit
SB-610 monitor scope to keep track of the transmitted signal, but I was
facing the computer monitor.   Sure enough, the signal was crummy.   The
bottom line was that I had inadvertently turned on the speech processor.
RIGblaster advises to use NO processing/compression with the interface.   I
knew that especially with PSK and RTTY.

After the contest, I did some more experimenting with my computer audio
(Win-98 and SoundBlaster-AWE64) and rig audio controls.  I found with my
equipment that even at the lowest audio setting and lowest rig gain
settings, if the speech processor were enabled, then unacceptable distortion
would appear on the signal.  This distortion does not appear when using the
speech processor and only my Heil microphone.   So in my situation, the
processor is always off while using an audio interface (and the great
WriteLog features).  I must provide adequate gain for recording/playback of
the buffers.  There have been some postings about soundcard gain elsewhere.

As they say, your results may vary.
Helpfully submitted,
73,

Jerry    K7VIT