[WriteLog] Hum progblems...

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Hum progblems...
From: w5xd@writelog.com (W. Wright, W5XD)
Date: Sat Feb 1 22:10:28 2003
One little fact you might want to consider regarding hum and
iron core transformers: The cores are designed to restrict
the coupling to include only the windings on the core (that
part is obvious), but if you bring two iron core transformers
into close proximity, the magnetic field in one core "likes" the
iron in the close-by core as well, so the signals in one
transformer are cross coupled to the other.

The result is that using an isolation transformer can actually
introduce the exact problem you were trying to avoid by installing
it. The fix, of course, is to get the cores farther apart. I had
a similar problem when the little Radio Shack isolation transformer
between my PC and my rig Mic jack found itself snuggled up to the
side of the blower motor behind my homebrew amplifier.

Wayne