[WriteLog] USB X SERIAL PORT

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] USB X SERIAL PORT
From: ly2kw@na6v.com (Gintaras Sakenas LY2KW)
Date: Thu Jun 5 05:56:40 2003
I have been sucessfully using HP USB to Serial Cable (part # F5103A). It seems
to work OK with
Writelog and DXBase. It won't do FSK with MMTTY, but my HP Omnibook VT6200 has
one regular serial
port to key FSK. Don't worry about this much as you can go AFSK from your
soundcard. HP F5103A
retails at about US $32.00 locally. At a computer store I was told though that
these adaptors seem
to perform differently depending on a computer model and operating system used,
so you'll probably
never know until you try it yourself. I was lucky to test the adaptor prior to
I paid. I also use a
USB hub and can run four devices connected to my PC simultaneously. Works fine.

The adaptor was assigned COM Port 4 when I installed it. A while after I
purchased another serial
adaptor and the operating system automatically gave it COM Port 5. I am not
good at computers and
have no idea of how to make WL recognize it as I only have a choice of COM
Ports 1 through 4 to
choose from in WL menu. No big deal as I have COM 4 working, but sticking
another radio to the WL
would be nice. Does anyone know how to use COM Port 5 with the Write Log?

Thanks, 73!
Gintas LY2KW