[WriteLog] RE: USB adapters

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] RE: USB adapters
From: ad6e@inreach.com (ad6e@inreach.com)
Date: Thu Jun 5 13:49:44 2003
At work we bought several new Sony Vaio notebooks w/o serial ports and w/o
floppy drive. After several days trying various USB to serial converters
we returned the Sonys and bought new Dell lap tops that included a real
serial port and a floppy (and came with Win2k per our request!!)

We discovered that XP will NOT support a USB to serial port adapter if the
computer has no serial port of its own to start with. There must be some
way around this, but we couldn't find one and we returned the Vaios.

73, Al AD6E

--- PY5EG <py5eg@inepar.com.br> wrote:

Hi Friends:

      I know this subject has been discussed previously, but I would like to
know what is the best solution to use Writelog and Dx 4win  on  those new
lap tops with USB and no serial port.
      There are several manufacturers of adaptors USB to serial, but I
really don't know which one is effectively working with ham softwares.
      Can somebody help me?

      Thanks in advance

      Oms PY5EG