[WriteLog] TRLOG migration path for WL

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] TRLOG migration path for WL
From: wn0x@earthlink.net (Rich Beckwith)
Date: Mon Jun 16 23:37:49 2003
Good evening all.

Our club is considering utilizing WriteLog this year for field day.  We have
successfully used TRLog the last few years for the CW station and WriteLog
for the phone station (2A).  We want to share logs with the GOTA station
this year so are considering WriteLog to facilitate networking these
stations.

Our first attempt involved installing the software that would allow us to
use our existing parrallel interfaces with XP/2K.  We could never get the
software to access LPT1, only LPT2 appears to be available. We built the
serial interface with 4N33 opto-isolator, but are only able to "Tune" the
radio, no CW is sent.  On boot-up the radio is keyed several times and
occasionally when we start WL the radio is keyed until we go back into
Setup>Ports and re-select CW for COM1.

Questions:

1.  Is there an option that allows us to use WL with something similar to
the TR interface?  Our CW ops are skeptical that they will be able to
operate efficiently.  If we could reduce the training curve convincing them
to try something different would be easier.

2.  Is there a paddle input?  We don't want to spend $215 for this
functionality and it is very nice having the paddle speed follow the
generated CW speed.

3.  Does someone have configuration files that would help us get started?

I have personally considered moving to WL for the CW Sweep Stakes so I
wouldn't have to juggle boot disks and could multi-task and network in the
Windows environment.  I could never find a trial version anywhere on the
web.  The individual who is doing our testing is a licensed WL user and
phone op.  It is very cumbersome moving everything to his shack every time
we want to try something new.  Is there a trial version somewhere to
facilitate testing?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Rich Beckwith - Wn0x