[WriteLog] ?Help:WriteLog networking?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] ?Help:WriteLog networking?
From: ad6id@qsl.net (Tony)
Date: Mon Jun 23 14:33:38 2003
Hi folks,
   I'm checking out the laptops we used for Writelog logging for last year's
Field Day, just to make sure...
   Well, the networking (which worked great last year) will not work. Here are
the details:
   One laptop is running Win98SE the other  Win2000.
   TCP/IP is set for both at fixed IP addresses - 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.10.
They are the only two connected so far.
   I can ping both from each other.

When I try to connect, I get the Writelog error status window reporting
"Lost connection to <name>". The error is the same from either computer.

   NetBUI is configured on both to use Microsoft networking.
   The Win98 laptop DOES network fine with my Win98 desktop computer. Writelog
works fine between them.
   I tried the Writelog doc check of running NETSETV9.EXE - it reported the
"Network is OK" on both.
   The workgroups are NOT common, though. The win2000 computer can either
belong to a domain OR a workgroup but not both. (I'd prefer not to use the
win2000 machine as a non domain system as I'd haver to coerce a local admin
password out of the folks at work).

   Clues? What did I miss?

Thanks & 73,

Tony, AD6ID