[WriteLog] SO2R

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] SO2R
From: Georgek5kg@aol.com (Georgek5kg@aol.com)
Date: Sun Aug 3 10:30:48 2003
In a message dated 8/2/2003 11:41:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
k7ox@pipeline.com writes:

> I only have one RS232 Interface, a ICOM CT-17 which allows up to 4
> different
> radios to be plugged in.  However, it only has one RS232 port.  After I have
> networked two computers with WL (haven't tried that yet, although I have two
> computers networked now)  My question is do I have to buy another
> communications interface to run from the serial port of the second computer
> to my secomd radio ?

Yes, each radio will require its own serial port interface.  I run SO2R using
the WX0B SO2R Master and one computer with two serial ports.  Some ops run
SO2R with two independent computers, but with the SO2R Master only one computer
is used.

You mention networking WL between two computers.  I have done that several
times when I have a second op and second station set up for a contest.  WL
networked between two machines works great, although it is a bit tricky to set
up.
Once you understand the various steps necessary to establish the network,
manage the log and connect to Telnet, it works like a charm.

> Both of my radios are Icom's and is there some way I can use the CT-17 with
> both radios even though only one computer is physically connected to the
> interface ?

Not that I know of.

> If a additional communications interface will be required, suggestions as
> which one ? Don't want to pay the high price for another CT-17.

   I use a CT-17 on one radio and the K1NU cable on the other radio.  The
K1NU cable works great and does not require an external 12vdc supply.  You can
find out about it at <A
HREF="http://k1nu.home.comcast.net/k1nu/Products/index.html";>http://k1nu.home.comcast.net/k1nu/Products/index.html</A>.

K1NU made up one for me that is 10 ft. long since I needed more length and did
not have a cable stretcher handy.

Questions?

73, Geo....

George I. Wagner, K5KG