[WriteLog] Re: sound card SSB audio

To: <eric@k3na.org>
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: sound card SSB audio
From: "Paul K4JA" <k4ja@crosslink.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 02:58:37 -0000
Hello Eric

I really appreciate your help.  So really good ideas. I found lots of
little things and I was told that my audio sounded good. My main frame
of reference was the monitor.

I helped Bruce with he Orion and WL tonight. He really likes the
radio.

73 Paul

> Hi --
>
>    I've struggled a bit with this as well.  I have learned two
things that might help others:

> 1)  The widely-quoted Radio Shack isolation transformer may be OK
for RTTY high tones, but not very good for human speech.  It has
> poor low frequency and dynamic response, saturates easily, and
introduces a tinny characteristic to the audio.  See the 2002 July 17
> posting by W5YR for details.
>
>    K3MM has had good luck with Magnetek TY300P 600 ohm hybrid
transformers.  Another WriteLog reflector contributor found some less
> expensive solutions from DigiKey, but I can't find his message.
>
> 2)  RF on the audio lines can do bad things when it gets into the
audio amplifiers in sound cards.  Wrapping lines around ferrite
> chokes sometimes makes a dramatic improvement.
>
>    More generally, there are a lot of steps between microphone and
radio transmitter input.  People tend to just throw together a
> bunch of cabling and then expect all the levels and impedances to
magically work out and sound good.  It's easy to get caught with
> low level ground loops and other extraneous junk on the lines.
>
>    I'm contemplating taking a more careful approach, using 600 ohm
balanced lines and providing a more standardized signal level
> (aka 0 dBm) to the transmitter line input/phone patch input jacks
rather than the mic-in jack.  That, along with some little boxes
> that provide isolation transformers and RF bypassing (as well as
breaking out stereo soundcard line in/out into mono for SO2R should
> help a lot.
>
>    Receive audio is also important.  You may not run into this
trouble with a multi-op station, but a SO2R station that's doing a