Re: [WriteLog] What Am I Missing?

To: w2cs@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] What Am I Missing?
From: Georgek5kg@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:06:50 EST
In a message dated 11/14/2003 12:02:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
w2cs@bellsouth.net writes:

Gary, here is what I can offer:

> 1.  The ability to reset the RIT/Clarifier to an offset of zero when an
> F-key is pressed (useful after you've worked a guy you had to retune, and
> now you want to call CQ without having to remember to reset the RIT while
> brain dead).

I don't know of a way to do this in WL.

> 2.  The ability to scroll a bandmap without having to move the VFO. Useful
> in scanning bands for new mults/Qs.  An alternative would be to have the
> bandmap dispayed horizontally.  I'm finding the bandmap is of limited use
> unless I can see much more the band, easily.

The only way I know of to scroll the band map is to move the VFO.  I have
always found the band map to be extremely useful.  I display it to the right of
the main WL window, and extend it from the top to the bottom of the screen.

Here is my writelog.ini entry for the bandmap:
[BandMap]
MenuOn=1
X=859
Y=-5
W=169
H=396
Color1=0xff0000
Color2=0xff00
Color3=0xff
Color4=0xffff
Color5=0xffff00
Color6=0x0
BkColor=0x0
DialColor=0xff00
DefaultTimeoutSeconds=1800
BandEdgeFile=USA_Extra.SubBands
ShowBandEdges=1
LimitToBandEdges=1
PixelsPerKhz=8
FaceName=Andale Mono
FontHeight=-11
FontWeight=400
FontFamily=49

Note, I use 1800 seconds (30 minutes) for the default timeout and 8
pixels/khz to get the resolution I like.

> 3.  A way of returning to my run frequency after a quick pass at a mult
> (clicked on a spot, or used RCL button, or clicked on the bandmap).

I don't know of a way to do this in WL.  It is availabel in CT, but I have
never found it in WL.  It would be a nice addition, however.

> 4.  A way of storing keystrokes such as [ENTER] in a CW or RTTY message so
> that an F-key press can also log a Q as well as send an exchange.  Is there
> a keystroke metalanguage I've missed?

"ENTER" sends the callsign in the log entry window followed by the contents
of F2
"+" enters the callsign into the log and sends the contents of F3

I belive this is a convention carried over from earlier logging programs (CT &
 NA?), and is an efficient way of working and logging stations.

> 5.  A way of having WL put the callsign into the entry window for a call
> that is in the band map when I have tuned the VFO to the frequency
> associated with that call in the bandmap.  Useful for search and pounce.
> The data's there; I hate to have to reenter it.

Double click on the call sign in the band map and it will appear in the log
entry window.

Note: you can also place a call into the band map by entering it in the log
entry window and hitting the space bar.  If you do not work the station, hit
F11 to erase it from the log entry window.  It will remain in the band map.
This is helpful when you come across a large pile up that you don't want to
crack
now but want to come back to later and work.

> 6.  A way to press a single key and in so doing cause the main VFO
> frequency
> to jump to the next unworked station (or next new mult) in the bandmap.
> Useful for cleaning out a band quickly later in the contest.

Nope

> 7.  A way to "gab" with a subset of the operating positions in a
> multi/multi
> networked configuration. Position A wants to talk to C without bothering B,
> D, E or F.
>
> Nope.  Gab gabs everyone as far as I know.

73, Geo...

George I. Wagner, K5KG
Productivity Resources LLC
941-312-9450