Re: [WriteLog] W5XD Multi+ and PTT outputs

To: Nick Lekic <ve3ey@rac.ca>,Writelog Reflector <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] W5XD Multi+ and PTT outputs
From: "Richard L. King" <k5na@texas.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:59:52 +0000
I have a new W5XD keyer and have seen the same problem on an intermittent basis.

I went through and made sure that all the RCA plugs to the Mark V were seated as securely as possible and that my foot switch has as much internal resistance as possible. But still the same problems occurs here once in a while and it is maddening when it happens.

The problem manifests itself when I push the foot switch and the transmitter PTT keying goes on and off in an irregular cycle.

The keyer seems to be intolerant of connections in the PTT input lines that have a small amount of resistance in them. My foot switch seems to have enough internal resistance that it sometimes allows the PTT circuit to just drop out briefly.

I use two Mark Vs in SO2R and it happens to either transceiver, depending on which one I am using. So the problem seems to be in the keyer's intolerance to my foot switch. The foot switch works fine when connected to the rigs directly.

73, Richard K5NA