[WriteLog] Long Path

To: "writelog@contesting.com" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Long Path
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 12:18:44 -0600
I observed some very interesting behavior on 20 m Sunday morning
(Chicago time). I use only dipoles and a vertical here. For several
hours around 1500Z, I was hearing many northern European stations on
both short path and long path at nearly the same level. The delay
between the two arrivals was such that it made the signals virtually
impossible to copy, and I avoided 20 until the condition cleared. I
could switch to one of the dipoles that put a null to the long path and
copy them, and the typical sound of the longer path made it easy to
tell what I was listening to, but the antenna didn't work well enough
to use it for transmitting.

Did anyone else observe this?

Jim K9YC