Re: [WriteLog] Networked WriteLog and Function Key Assignments

To: WriteLog Reflector <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Networked WriteLog and Function Key Assignments
From: Jim Idelson <k1ir@designet.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 07:24:33 -0500
We do multi-ops here all the time. WriteLog stores the cw function key
definitions with the local copy of the log, I believe. So the messages need to
be programmed on each machine. I think you can get around this in precontest
setup by creating a master log on one machine with all the settings you want,
and then copying it to all the other machines on the network. I usually do
this, but the ops will almost always make changes to the messages during the
course of the contest. We lock down the meaning of each function key with
labels, but allow ops to 'tune' the specific messages to their particular
needs. I tend to think about this question in terms of cw, but we use the same
approach on ssb. Ops customize their messages on the fly. The .wav files are
stored locally on each machine int the WL network.

Feature idea: It would be great if there was a button on the Message Setup
screen that allowed us to "Propagate messages to other instances of WL
currently linked over the network". This would send the cw/ssb/rtty setups to
all the other machines. This might be done precontest, or even right in the
middle of the contest to sync everybody up.

73,

Jim Idelson K1IR
email    k1ir at designet.com
web    http://www.designet.com/k1ir