Re: [WriteLog] WL holding my computer hostage!!!

To: Eric Hilding <eric@hilding.com>, writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WL holding my computer hostage!!!
From: "Richard L. King" <k5na@texas.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:43:54 +0000
It sounds to me like your "Alt" key is stuck down on your keyboard.

Those characters are underlined if you push your Alt key followed by a "P" to select on "SETUP" selection. This is a way to navigate without a mouse. But it requires the Alt key to be pushed first from the Writelog logging screen.

73, Richard

At 09:21 AM 12/19/2003, Eric Hilding wrote:

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Richard Leary wrote:

> I played around with it some here as well, no problems, no errors.
> I use a Pentium 4, 1.4Mhz, Windows XP Pro, and Eric, also a TS-870S, with Rigblaster Plus, and Writelog 1.44B. Oh, and I also have Cool Edit 2000. Works great.

So others have reported. Bizarre.

> Under Setup, dropdown menus. Where do you see any underlined characters (SSB,RTTY).

Huh?  Plain as day on my system:  The "Y" in RTTY is underlined.  On the
the CW/RTTY/SSB Memory Setup Dialog box, the "B" in SSB is underlined.

I don't have any underlined/accelerated letters/keys on any of my menus.

This is REALLY bizarre!!!

> Under CW/RTTY messages. You can set them up any which way you want. If your last setup had SSB keys selected, it will stay that way until you Exit out of WriteLog. Whenever I exit WriteLog, then open it again, the CW/RTTY/SSB box will always show up with the CW selections. Doesn't make any difference, because if WriteLog is polling your rig, when you change from CW to SSB, or vice versa, on the TS-870, the messages change as well.

Understand.  It's just that if I have configured things for a PHONE only
contest (SSB), I would expect *those* settings to be the ones that appear
vs. NON-SSB/Phone CW "Normal" keys.

> Oh yes, I sent you an email, direct a couple of days ago, regarding the CW delay. I use anything from 5ms to 100ms. Anything between those numbers doesn't seem to me to cause any problems. I also try and keep the internal keyer in the 870 fairly close to Writelog's CW speed, around 26-30wpm works for me. That way I can hand fill in any off the wall CW that needs to be sent during contests.

Thank you very much, Rick. Never got it (see below).

> Keep playing around with it. Like I said, I haven't had any problems with it here, and be sorta careful about blaming WriteLog. I've found that a little experimenting, and reading, and listening to this reflector can solve a lot of problems or concerns one might have.
>
> That's about it for now. Hope this helps Eric. Oh, those 2 emails I sent you, got bounced back. Something about spam. I had my call in there as well. You've got your mail filters screwed down so tight, I doubt if anyone can get through.

Sorry 'bout that, but at 1,000 pieces of junk per day, I had to take
drastic action.  On this mailing list, my Procmail filters are setup to
only accept mail sent "To:" writelog@contesting.com ... since I didn't
know about security/protection here when I signed up.

It's the only way I can deal with mega-problems including the Chinese
e-terrorist who keep bombing me with virus laden emails...and now they are
forging Microsoft, IBM, Dell, E-Bay and a lot of other major U.S. names to
try and slip through people's filtering.

I'd better not get on my soapbox about the myriad of problems with email.

Tnx again for your info.

k5na@texas.net