[WriteLog] Re: Problem with MicroHam USB Interface

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: Problem with MicroHam USB Interface
From: Steve Woodruff <sjwoodr@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:51:19 -0800 (PST)
I actually ordered one of these devices at the end
of January (1/29) and it arrived today.  It installed
perfectly and i'm thrilled to have a few less cables
under my desk!  I was using THREE serial ports before:
one for cw keying, one for rig control, and one for
DVK PTT (706 doesn't support ptt via rig-control
cable).

Now i have one USB cable and i no longer need that
flakey serial port expansion card that i kept moving
from computer to computer as I upgraded computers.

Here's the best part... the standard USB-IC model uses
the DIN port of the 706 for PTT control.  However,
i've
already got my amp relay using that port and so the
good folks at MicroHam custom built my unit (at no
additional charge) to use a 1/8" stereo plug instead
and i simply used a Y adapter to put it in parallel
with my existing footswitch circuit.  It works like a
champ!  I verified rig control, cw keying, and DVK
(using my existing sound card interface but using the
USB-IC for PTT keying).  Works great.........

For anyone considering one of these units, I highly
recommend them for their functionality and fine
customer service.  The price wasn't too bad either.
If you're too cheap to pay $50 for convienence, then
I must assume your HF contest rig is homebrew.  :)

BTW, for those trying to troubleshoot an install,
i might be able to help - email me direct.

enjoy,

/steve n9oh

--- writelog-request@contesting.com wrote:
<stuff about MicroHam USB Interface>