Re: [WriteLog] Anoyance during ARRL DX contest ini?

To: WriteLog Reflector <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Anoyance during ARRL DX contest ini?
From: Phil Florig <W9IXX@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 19:27:57 -0500
Hi all,

I am no software guru and wonder why you can't put the ini file in the same directory
as the program files. I have a few programs that that is what they do and makes things
very easy to find, backup, and redo as necessary. Also have subdirectories that hold
alternate ini files for easy renaming and using.

Just a question I was thinking about.... (sri - thinking agn.. HI)

Tnx group for all the posting here as I/we appreciate the exchange of info..

73 Phil

At 05:16 PM 03/09/2004, you wrote:
At 04:19 09/03/2004, Bill Turner wrote:

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 03:10:48 +0100, Fidel Leon wrote:

>Another one... Has anyone noted his/her WRITELOG.INI and WLOGKEY.INI being
>created in "Documents and Settings\user\WINDOWS" instead of %WINDIR%...?

My writelog.ini file has always been in C:\windows.  How did yours get
somewhere else?

Sincerelly.... I don't have a single clue! Mine was there too!

I recently reinstalled my operating system, so I installed Writelog and, after the installation, copied a backup of WRITELOG.INI in my \WINDOWS directory.

I started WL, and went to the Ports setup, since the WRITELOG.INI copy I had was a little outdated, and the radio was in another serial port, but I found a COM port from the old computer (a CommSlot2=6), which was unexistent. I exited WL, modified WRITELOG.INI erasing the CommSlot2=6, and restarted WL.

What a surprise when I already found COM6 in Ports! I checked everything else for half an hour! Some parameters, as the W5XD/K5DJ multikeyer port, were changed correctly, so looked like the configuration was written anywhere else.

Looking for more WRITELOG.INI files in the hard disk, I found one in Documents and Settings\user_name\WINDOWS with a current modification date. It was a perfect copy from my original WRITELOG.INI but for the parameters I changed from Ports. The CommSlot2=6 was there, and when removed, COM6 was no longer in Ports.

OS is Windows 2003 Server.

73,

Fidel Leon - EA3GIP
ea3gip@ea3gip.net