Re: [WriteLog] Best RTTY decoder

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Best RTTY decoder
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:01:29 -0800
The story is at http://lists.contesting.com/_3830/2004-03/msg00751.html

I didn't realize that the clone RO function could be used as described with RITTY. Yes, RITTY is hard to tune quickly. I use the PK232 indicator to get close quickly and then the RITTY indicators to get right on.

Sounds like it's time to upgrade from 10.37. Thanks for mentioning this.

Donald Eriksen wrote:

I did much searching of 3830 for your story with no luck, could you be more
specific where it's located? I'd like to read it.

I'm surprised you ever had trouble with RITTY copy below S5, you must have
had very low level audio from your sound card. I've always used a small
cheapie Optimus (Radio Shack) stereo amplifier on my sound card output with
a nice big volume control and I routinely copy signals that barely register
on the S meter with RITTY.

That speaks well of the PK-232 that it would approach RITTY or MMTTY in weak
signal copy. I've never used one.

I agree with Bill, W6WET (below) Ritty still beats even MMTTY in most low
signal cases. But, it's harder to tune than MMTTY. That's why I love the
"clone" receive only function (thanks, Wayne), now I can use RITTY in RX and
leave the Autotune on to keep the pips in the windows and use MMTTY for
transmit and leave its AFC off. To me, that's the best performing setup I've
found.

Don W6FFH