[WriteLog] Remote Station Control

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Remote Station Control
From: "Alfred J. Frugoli (KE1FO)" <frugoli@worldlinkisp.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 21:20:29 -0400
Hello folks,

I've been doing some research on Remote Station Control.  I'd like to try using
Writelog as a front end and using something like NetMeeting's remote Desktop
Sharing or PCAnywhere to control the software and send/recieve audio over the
internet.  Anyone doing this?  Here are my issues to this point.

On my local network I can't get NetMeeting's remote desktop sharing to work.
The service seems to run, but when I try to log in from another computer 1) I
never am asked to enter the password and 2) the connection is rejected
eventually.  I have tried connecting to the "host" (the one connected to the
rigs and running writelog) machine using netmeeting and remote desktop
connection - neither works.  I CAN share my desktop once a call is established
in NetMeeting and control the radio etc from another machine.

The 2nd issue is how to get the audio that is normally going to the headphones
into netmetting (an aside is that NetMeeting doesn't seem to support stereo, so
using this solution I'd be limited to using 1 rig while operating remotely).
I'm assuming a 2nd soundcard would be necessary - i.e. soundcard A would be
connected to Writelog in the normal way except that the Mic input would come
from the line out or speaker otuput of soundcard b (instead of directly from a
Mic).  The headphones from the rig (or writelog so2r keyer in my case) would go
to the mic in on soundcard B.  NetMeeting would use soundcard B to the audio
over the internet link.

The 3rd issue is that I don't see that audio can be sent when you use remote
desktop sharing.  Therefore a call would actually need to be established.  I
guess this could be done using the remote desktop connection (starting
netmeeting on the remote machine etc.).

The "host" computer (one connected to rigs running writelog) is an AMD K6 with
32 megs of ram running Windows 98 4.10.1998.  The "remote" computer is a
celeron 2.4mhz with 768 megs of ram running Windows XP Version 2002 Service
Pack 1.

Can anyone help out with this issue?

Thanks.

73 de Al, KE1FO