RE: [WriteLog] Open Letter to Wayne - Networking

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] Open Letter to Wayne - Networking
From: ad6e@inreach.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:02:34 -0700 (PDT)
I've never had to set up WL in a network before. A couple years ago we
used WL in a 3 machine network for FD and it worked flawlessly. I think
the only thing that needed to be done was to set a static IP address in
each of the machines: 0.0.0.1 through 0.0.0.3 and then use an ethernet hub
(not a router).

What I didn't like was that I got my lap top back with the static address
set and it took me a week to figure out how to put it back to "normal".

If I were to do this again, and if I were the one doing it, I'd use an
802.11b wireless router, allow it to assign IP via DHCP, and keep the
network isolated. Is this workable now?

Using a wireless box to control the network is soooo much easier than
stringing cables around to different tents in FD!!!  Please don't do
anything that would preclude this type of solution. Maybe I worry too
much.

73, Al  AD6E