RE: [WriteLog] Open Letter to Wayne - Networking

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] Open Letter to Wayne - Networking
From: "Gary Ferdinand W2CS" <w2cs@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 23:20:39 -0400
We ran a multi-multi of 5 positions this past contest year at NY4A.  While I
will readily admit that configuring it all required no small measure of
ATTENTION TO DETAIL, especially when mixing, as we did, Win98SE with Win2K
systems, once configured, no failure was due to the network. We had a couple
of boxes decide to help us out by rebooting once or twice without being
asked, but nothing I can attribute to the network.

Watching WL reconnect and resynch the logs is a sight to behold, if you're
coming from TRLog or CT or NA as I had! I concur with Scott that it's more
likely that Field Day was the culprit!

As to the suggestion to use static IP addresses...

I would urge caution with this.  Whenever you give up a symbolic address
such as computer name for a numeric, physical address, you give up alot.
Human factors become more difficult.  Swapping in that spare computer has
additional addressing steps, which when done at 3AM are no longer as trivial
as they should be.  Also, most of us likely run DHCP servers and ignore IP
addresses entirely, and we use our home computers for the contesting.  Do we
really wish to do a home network reconfiguration in order to set up for a
contest?  Only if we're masochists.

For computers used purely for contesting, no sweat. In our case the
computers have "household" duties to perform on a home LAN when not in use
for a contest.  Going back and forth between DHCP and static IP would be a
royal pain.  Managing static IP and just kicking DHCP out of the house
(which I have done in my home) is also somewhat of a problem. When my son
visits, suddenly his laptop no longer just plugs into the switch.

Network configuration will never be easy.  On balance I think WL networking
today is excellent.  I'll trade off some quirks with names/passwords so that
I can continue to have a LAN others can easily plug into (yes we still use
wires now and then).  And, truly, I remember computer names much better than
computer IP addresses!

I'd spend the programming resources elsewhere.

73,

Gary W2CS
Apex, NC