Re: [WriteLog] Microsoft and networking

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Microsoft and networking
From: K4SB <k4sb@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 02:40:00 +0000
Dave L Thompson wrote:
> However, the microsoft issue is very real (planned obsolescence).
> Earthlink and Norton have dropped all support for Windows 95 (either
> version) and Norton will probably drop support forW98  live updates in
> December (they are only on support now..no updates or new sales).
> Dave K4JRB

Well, someone had better tell all the vendors of this "dropped"
support by Norton.
Systemworks 2003 is plentiful, and as a matter of fact,
softwarenavada.com sells it for
$14.95. Better to buy a new disk than pay the $19+ which Norton wants
for another year of updates. And Norton guarantees a full year of
updates. Incidentally, SystemWorks 2004 has such a bad feedback from
customers that I wouldn't even touch it.

And Norton still provides updates, mostly anti v...., but occasionally
for the other features as well.

As for forcing people to upgrade, I think that is a bad policy, and
not likely to be endorsed. While I do have a dual boot XP+/98 SE on
the hamshack machine, no one, and that includes the software writers
is going to dictate to me what system I use. While W/L is on the XP
and 98 SE machines, XP is still too new for me to do anything but
practice.

73
Ed

If I can't work a new contest, so be it.