[WriteLog] RE: Voice Help

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] RE: Voice Help
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 19:23:18 -0700
Dave, K4JRB wrote:

> Glad to see the improvements as to voice messages.  We need a big leap
> from the average voice keyer usage to using the keyboard for seamless
> call sign and message sending.

Amen & Amen. That's what it's all about!

> Maybe the next step is to harness digital voice so we can populate the
> .wav (or similar) files so that everything is on the keyboard...just type
> in the call received and it goes from there.

I (almost) dream about this every night :-)

> We might even be able to program fills such as call sign, and exchange fills.
> I would also like to program a "what is your call" message fore those who
> do not identify often enough.

This was one of the purposes in requesting additional SSB messages capability, and
very glad that Wayne implemented this. I haven't made a final decision yet, but I may
have TWO options such pre-records like:

1. Your Call? (Voice inflection UP at end...press the SSB message key TWICE :-)

2. Please Repeat Your Call (one message)

Or, a THIRD option which can then be used with other SSB partial messages:

3. Please Repeat (one message) ... pressing this SSB message key and a straightforward "Your Call" would then yield:

Please Repeat Your Call

(OR) Please Repeat Your QTH (your SECTION, etc., etc.)

> Maybe a short CW message to ask DX working 40 and 80 split to listen up and keep us legal

That's a good idea. Actually, with X-Keys, you can "Program" ANY CW above and beyond message key limitations (at least in TR...I need to test it with WriteLog now)...to substantially increase message/hot-key capabilities BEYOND those of what the logger offers...for CW. I even have a special "KB" key for use when QSOing my fellow NCCC members :-) That is my very favorite key!!! It brings me more enjoyment and increases the FQ ("Fun Quotient"). Weird, but true.

I can't remember the link I provided in a previous post about my X-Keys setup (which will soon be expanding), but here's one to check out from my original "Beta Test" as KP2CW in February:

http://www.hilding.com/k6vva/kp2cw/locustcontestfood/

In the 3rd pix down on the 1st page, do you see all the colored buttons just above the mini-keyboard ... and on the special keypad to the left of the keyboard?

Well, NO MORE <CTRL + somekey> or <ALT + somekey>, etc., etc. keystrokes...especially with sweaty hands to slip on the keyboard. I've reduced them all to ONE LARGE BUTTON each to push!!! They are Color-coded by either S&P, CQ Mode or other functionalities. With TR, I can tune the RIT on the TXRX with 2 buttons right above the keys so my fingers hardly have to move (I can also tune the RIT with my feet with a special footpedal if desired :-) Now that I'll be using WL for SSB, I hope the same RIT tuning is available. If not, I'll post another suggestion because it is so totally AWESOME!!!

Now, to program the USB X-Keys versions to work with WL for the long-awaited SSB enhancements! The Key-Strips are mounted with Velcro on a custom angled keyboard mount I had machined, with another version in production to handle 3 strips of 16 keys each which will put all the buttons/keys closer to my fingertips. This way, I can EASILY swap-out pre-programmed unique contest key strips if desired. It was all designed to minimize eye AND hand movement during a contest. I call it the "Locust Contest Mission Control Center". I like colors. I like LARGE buttons to push. I don't like large, clumsy keyboards that take up space. But those are my "tastes". I just need to constantly work at reducing operator QLF ;-(

Hopefully, this may give you...and others some ideas on how to streamline for ONE BUTTON TO PUSH efficiency.

73...

Rick (Locust) Hilding, K6VVA