[WriteLog] Hard Drive Failure, THANKS

To: "Packrats" <packrats@mailman.qth.net>,"Qrp-L" <qrp-l@mailman.qth.net>, "Amsat-Bb" <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Subject: [WriteLog] Hard Drive Failure, THANKS
From: "Robert McGwier" <rwmcgwier@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 12:12:29 -0000
I received many many replies from my off topic posting.
I love ham radio and the generosity of people to others
in need. THANK YOU. My investigations reveal that this would
be the single largest expenditure on equipment I have made in
two years.  Many of you know me, and so you understand
what that means:  this is extremely expensive.  It is that
way because companies, having as poor a back up situation
as I did, have lost vital data and will pay whatever it takes
to get the problem fixed.  The market will bear the price,
and it is high.

My failure is in the spindle and POSSIBLY a disk head.
The disk had droppings put on it for ten minutes before I
figured out what was happening.   I had important family
financial, tax, etc. backed up as well as most important
code work I am doing now.  But I lost a book I was working
on, a large article and all research that went into it
for QST,  a large article and all research that went into
it for an article for QEX, a large article and all research
that went into it for an article for CQ VHF, and all design
work on several antennas including a small vertical array
for 160 meters for N2NT and W2GD.  It has mostly stopped
my work on the SDR-1000 for a month while I attempt to
recover.

Life is too short and I can afford a full raid disk, and excellent
back up, and a high quality UPS much more readily than I can afford
to lose exactly 1/10 of my life's work.

Thanks again to all who wrote.

Bob McGwier
N4HY