Re: [WriteLog] Hard Drive Failure, THANKS

To: Robert McGwier <rwmcgwier@comcast.net>,Packrats <packrats@mailman.qth.net>, Qrp-L <qrp-l@mailman.qth.net>,Amsat-Bb <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Hard Drive Failure, THANKS
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 06:09:57 -0700 (PDT)
--- Robert McGwier <rwmcgwier@comcast.net> wrote:

> Life is too short and I can afford a full raid disk, and excellent
> back up, and a high quality UPS much more readily than I can afford
> to lose exactly 1/10 of my life's work.

Sorry you had to learn this hard lesson.

Until the last couple of years, I never backed up.  Now our two main computers
both have an identical 2nd hard drive that is used to store nightly backups.  I
also use Iomega Automatic Backup software which backs critical files in
real-time to both the second hard disk as well as a removable USB "jump" drive.
  I probably back up too much, but some day, something is going to fail.

However, as much protection as you can create for yourself "in-house", you need
some way of storing your critical data off-site in case "disaster strikes".

Some services I have been considering:

  http://www.backup.com/
  http://www.connected.com/
  http://www.ibackup.com/

Calculate what your time is worth (i.e. time spent recovering lost data) and
then you'll see that backing up pays for itself.

Good luck with your data recovery!

73 - Jim AD1C

=====
USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com
PGP Fingerprint: D8E2 3D78 339F A7F1 8C13  1193 B5D1 4FB6 79D1 70DC