[WriteLog] Back-up??

To: "Writelog" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Back-up??
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:20:19 +0100
Hi all,

Hhhmmm. After reading of Mark's (N7MQ) sad loss of data, I began wondering
about the back-up facility in WL.

I wonder if my assumption is correct: You get reminded very so often (20 Q's
in my case) to save the log.
This back-up takes the form of an ADIF file, and is held until you do the
Ctrl-S bit, which then saves the data to the your .WL file.
Now, if WL happens to crash for some reason, and the .WL file becomes
corrupt, then there is a possibility that you won't have ANYTHING to show
for it.

I have checked the WL help files, but other than doing a periodic "save", I
can't find any other info on backing up your log.

Now, I started wondering what may happen if you ignored the hint to save the
log, and let the backup.adi file just grow.

Would it, as I think, (and no, I have not yet tried it) keep all the QSO
data in it?
If it does, then surely you would be able to use this file after starting WL
again, and setting up the contest from the beginning, and then doing an
"import" ?? (That may mean you have to ignore the prompt you get when you
re-start WL on the odd occasion when your PC does something funny, and you
have to reboot).

Ron/Wayne, is there any possibility at all of including a back-up on a
seperate drive in a future release?
Maybe it could just be an ADIF file, or something like that, but a seperate
backup does seem to be required.

Alternatively, maybe someone has found a solution, or maybe I have missed
something in the help file?

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

73 de Phil GU0SUP