[WriteLog] Re: Your data loss

To: "Steve Baron - KB3MM" <SteveBaron@StarLinX.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: Your data loss
From: Mark Perrin <mperrin@ordata.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:06:11 -0700
WL Reflector Subcribers:

I just joined the reflector to post this message, after learning from Steve KB3MM, that my logging problems that occured during the SQ WW RTTY test last weekend, had been discussed here. I was a bit stunned to hear that, but no allay concerns or questions, lurking in the various comments in the thread that I had blamed Writelog, I can report as follows.

I do not know what caused my computer to lose my cqwwrtty04 data. I assume it was somthing I did or did not do, and do not blame WL or claim WL has any deficiencies.

I emailed Ron and he got back to me with an appropriate response within a few hours, I think responding either while the contest was still going on or just after it was over. Unfortunately, the .wl file on my computer was completely empty of contest log data and the .adi file only had the log data for the S5 qso which occured before the blue screen of death. No clue, but not blame WL.

Here is my "for what it is worth" report.

Before the contest, I created the appropriate contest file. During the contest, I backed up that file regularly, in fact I recall only getting the "it has been 20 Q's since you backed up" message once.

I shut the computer down three times during the contest. Late nite/early morning local on the first night to go to sleep. Again on Saturday afternoon when I went to a funeral. The third was late on Saturday nite for sleep. Te program came right up on each occasion when I resumed in the contest.

Sunday morning, about 1830, while running along, suddenly I got the ole message that a program tried to do an illegal whatever that MS thing says, was terminating the program [WL] and then the ole WIN 98SE blue screen.

When I rebooted the computer, I started WL and clicked on recently opened tab, got the file with all my buffers etc, but no data. No clue, but not blame WL.

My posting on the issue was to the MMTTY reflector, I know I know is on yahoo etc and a pain - but did that becuase I was using the MMTTY Plug-In with WL, and Monday, I found that, after a search of EVERY directory and subdirectory of my computer, these three text files in MMTTY - when I sorted the files in EVERY directory and subdirectory by date - here are three .txt files with the CQ WW RTTY contest dates.

Looked in them and here was complete text file of everything that appeared on my screen during the contest, everything that is but band data. [Turns out that when I downloaded the MMTTY.exe file and loaded it, it had as a default checked the option to save TX receive as txt file. When checked that feature creates a complete, "streaming" as it were file, of all that appears on the screen. Talk about dumb luck.]

My posting was to the MMTTY reflector to see if there were any way to determine band data from the .txt files. Learned the answer is "no."

I have printed out all the MMTTY txt files, over 400 pages! Lots of information there of interest; I can see who I worked, the exchange, the fills, the ffailed qso's, a couple of alerts of sending off freq, people calling the nice DX that had come back to my qso on my frequency, that I did in fact work the 4L, EM1HO, the HB0/ etc. But no band data. Still, I can, with help of several contesters who have kindly give me some band data here and there, when I knew I was either on 40/20 or 20/15 etc, I can with that help get my station log reasonably up to date - when I take the time to manually type in 441 qsos into my station log program. However, a contest log is impossible.

My conclusions?

1. I did not have a proper backup procedure in place. I confess, that in the summer and early fall, I had spent all my time getting fair to decent antennas up for 80 and 40 - was absolutely smitten by RTTY contest bug a year ago and absolutely love the mode. I was busy the week before the contest started, and only did my set up, mostly with AA5AU's suggested buffers [tnx for all the help Don!], and god forbid, for some reason unknown to me, did NOT, for the first time ever, slip a diskette into the 3.5 drive, like I have every other time I have contested since CQ WW SSB in 1994 as ZF2MC. Jeez, how stupid!!!!! Repeat after me; always have a backup in addition to WL's. It was me, not WL, ultimately.

2. During a time of pressure and fatique, I must have done something wrong on the blue screen incident.

3. While WL had bailed me out before [I have used WL in many contests from home QTH and lots of DX trips for contests and when power problems, most recently at C6A, WL flawlessly came back up when power was restored on the island], this time for whatever reasons and again, accept full blame for incident, not do it this time.

I have had several emails with Ron at WL; Don AA5AU and Phil GU0SUP. Don and Phil have graciously helped me with RTTY many times over the past year. I got a prompt and appropriate the response from Ron. The data is gone; why not clear, but I am sure it was operator, mine, error.

I knew when I sent Ron an inquiry, that I needed a miracle when I looked at the size of my contest.wl file and all the contest.adi file had was the last pre-blue screen Q.

I got a miracle of sorts with the MMTTY .txt files, as I had many 40 meter Q's with zone 16, 17 and 18 - my new SteppIR Big Vertical did a fine job.

Well, this was longer than I expected, but after Steve's note that I was being discussed on the WL relfector and I went and read the thread, thought that I should post something. [Interestingly, learned a lot of new back strategies from the coments.]

The great thing about ham radio is its "connectiveness" if there is such a word. Oh, we carp and whine with and about one another from time to time, but in crunch time, we share and help one another. And I must say that when I started RTTY contesting a year ago, I discovered that many if not most of the RTTY contest calls were new ones to me, and that the RTTY contest group is the best sub-set of amateur radio worldwide.

Hope that clears the air. See you in the next RTTY contest, using Writelog, of course.

73 from Oregon,

Mark N7MQ