Re: [WriteLog] IC PW1 interface

To: "Writelog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] IC PW1 interface
From: "Gary Senesac AL9A" <al9a@pobox.mtaonline.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 11:47:07 -0800
First, thanks to all who replied to my missive.  A point of clarification is
needed.  Dick is correct in stating that the manual says all CI-V devices
should be set to the same SPEED.  However, my manual has an addendum sheet,
with picture, that clearly states and shows that the PW-1 remote jack should
be connected DIRECTLY to the single remote jack on the IC-756Pro.  The
addendum picture shows the CT-17 Level Converter and PC interface
connections X'd out - in other words, according to Icom, NO PC CONNECTION is
allowed!

Now I know for a fact others have their PC's, radios, and amps interfaced
through the CT-17 so I called Icom Tech Support for clarification.  One of
their techs is the one who said I needed to change the CI-V default address
on either the amp or the rig so that they would all work correctly through
the CT-17 and allow PC connection.  Of course, he didn't mention that this
would lead to issues with software incompatibility!

After assurances from several others on the reflector that connections
through the CT-17 work with default CI-V addresses I have reset everything
back to square one.  Now I have good news and bad news.  The good news is
the rig, the amp and the PC are all apparently communicating fb.  Band
changes, auto tuner, antenna selection, etc. all work, as does the bandmap
in WriteLog.  The bad news is I can't get the PW-1 to key up!

This one is probably pilot error.  I used to have an Amp Supply LK-500ZA
amplifier and once tried to drive it with the 756Pro.  Unfortunately I
didn't remember the note in the manual about current draw in the keying
circuit and I didn't know then, as I do now, about using a relay circuit
between the rig and amp.  When the amp keyed up it stayed up and wouldn't
drop out.  I had to manually turn it off to stop the output.  I suspect I
have toasted a diode or something in the rig and will be shipping it off to
Icom for repairs next week.  In the meantime, I intend to pull the
IC-706MKII out of the truck and use that as the back up rig for the shack.
Hopefully I'll be able to get the amp keyed with that rig - stay tuned!

Thanks again for all the helpful comments.
Gary AL9A