[WriteLog] FATAL Problem with TCP/IP networking and Skeds

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] FATAL Problem with TCP/IP networking and Skeds
From: "Wayne Wright, W5XD" <w5xd@writelog.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 06:44:18 -0600 (CST)
All,
I have a report of a fatal problem that happens in the combination of
TCP/IP networking and creating a sked, and I confirm the problem. There
are no workarounds except to either NOT use TCP/IP networking, or to NEVER
make a sked when running TCP/IP networking. This happens in all versions
of WL that have TCP/IP networking--up to and including 10.50.

The symptom of the problem is that WriteLog continuously invents empty
skeds as long as TCP/IP networking is running, but only after ANYONE on
the network makes the first one. Each individual bogus sked is harmless,
but after it has created a few hundred thousand of them, WriteLog slows to
a crawl. Skeds are in the .WL file saved, so File Save slows as well.
There is no (reasonable) way in WL to mass delete skeds, so the only work
around is to save the log as ADIF (which does not contain the skeds),
create a new .WL file, and import the ADIF.

I will post a patch for this ASAP, but don't expect it before the weekend.

Wayne