RE: [WriteLog] Trouble with 10.50D

To: "'K4SB'" <k4sb@bellsouth.net>,"'WriteLog Reflector'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] Trouble with 10.50D
From: "W7TMT" <w7tmt@dayshaw.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:19:41 -0800
Ed,

I too was about to respond to Stephen regarding his
statement about "...cleaning up his machine..." and advise
that the registry is the source of 'all evil' when it comes
to trying to uninstall applications... but you beat me to
it.

However, your statement  "...cleaned up the registry of
everything left over, and then reinstalled it. Ran like a
charm." is also somewhat misleading. "Cleaning up the
registry..." as you alluded to in your previous paragraph is
NOT for the faint of heart nor for anyone, who if they mess
it up isn't willing (and prepared with adequate backups of
the data they care about) to wipe the drive clean and start
again. As you know (but others may not) this is NOT a
Writelog issue, but rather is inherent in all Windows OS
based computers. The old saw about "...having all your eggs
in one basket..." applies to the Windows registry. Just take
a look at any MS Knowledgebase article that involves a
registry edit and MS states in bold print that this is a
potentially dangerous exercise. Even Microsoft's own
uninstaller code all too often fails to deal with the
registry left overs adequately and the folks who write that
code have access to all the 'insider secrets' that third
party vendors are denied.

Just a cautionary tale... editing the registry should be
undertaken with considerable caution and not without the
ability to start fresh and not lose data that you care about
if things go wrong.

73
Patrick
W7TMT