Re: [WriteLog] Writelog-CT17-Radios

To: Richard Zalewski <dick.w7zr@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Writelog-CT17-Radios
From: Ron Stordahl <ron.stordahl@digikey.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:11:19 -0600
I believe much of the difficulty in controlling radios are timing issues. DXBase2005 for example provides the control strings used in a file called radios.ini. In each radio's description the strings used are specified along with the ability to introduce 'waits' at various points in the sending of the strings. If multiple strings are needed, then delays can also be inserted between these. I would have thought making the 'waits' longer than they need be would only make things slow, but in some cases they make the commands fail as well...perhaps the radio times out. Surprisingly a radio which can be controlled without error at 9600 may not work at 1200, where apparently delays or 'waits' of different duration are required.

The whole thing is a can of worms. I spent a lot of time 'fine tuning' the strings and 'waits' for the ICOM 781, and then later the ICOM 756ProII. Also the ICOM 7800, where I have it working at 9600 but cannot make it work at 1200! Since I have never had any problem using WriteLog with my 756 Pro II (which is set to the address for the Pro rather than Pro II) I have not looked into if Writelog has a user accessible file with the radio definitions...I guess it doesn't.

When I finally got a working set of strings and delays for the 756ProII, they were released with DXBase and just as I should have expected they worked with some 756ProII's and not with others. I had to issue an update to the radios.ini file for that radio adding additional timing delays, which had the effect of slowing down the frequency setting and reading process, but at least, as far as I know, now wotks with all of the ProII's out there.

As I said earlier the whole thing is a can of worms. And trying to get any cooperation from the radio manufacturer, at least from ICOM, has been impossible. For example in their current product line not one of the radios offers the ability to read the current status of split and/or dual watch. That ability is present in the Kenwood and Yaesu rigs, but not in the ICOM. I have been in regular contact with ICOM, both in person and via e-mail for several years about this deficiency. It came as a disappointment to me that when the ICOM7800 was released this ability was still lacking. Now they have released the ProIII and it also is lacking this needed capability.

Not being a Kenwood, Yaesu, etc user I can't really say if those radios are easier to interface.

The control interface to our radios is way down on the list of things we think of when we make radio purchases. This is unfortunate because this allow the manufacturer to pretty much ignore the issue as well.

I believe your only hope is to contact Ron Stailey, K5DJ, the author of WriteLog to see if he can fine tune the timing of the commands for you.

Ron, N5IN

Richard Zalewski wrote:

I would like to renew this thread to see if we can come up with a
solution. Again it was a frustrating weekend having to click twice,
three, four times or more to get a spot to move to the entry window. Sometimes the spot would move to the entry window but the entry window
would not be the active area so it would take another click or two.

One thing that seemed to help a little (I emphasize little) was changing the comm ptt to NO on the radio.

I am able to use DX Labs suite of programs and select band spots
without any problem so I do not think it is a radio or computer
problem.  It may be a set up problem of some sort but it sure is
annoying.

One last clue and this has existed for some time.  After transmitting
about 90% of the time there is a "No Rig" displayed for a brief moment
and then the correct frequency is displayed.  This has been going on
for many revisions.

I have to believe there is some sort of polling problem and sure could
use some help on this.

Thanks to all.

Dick W7ZR

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:27:31 -0600, George Skoubis