Re: [WriteLog] Serial Port Addition/FSK

To: "S. Markowski Jr." <km9m-zig@comcast.net>,"WriteLog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Serial Port Addition/FSK
From: "John Fleming" <john@wa9als.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 06:52:33 -0500
1st. I remember reading that running FSK in WL with serial adapters required the adapter to be capable of running 5-bit code

Baudot RTTY is a 5-bit code, each character being specified by 5 bits. This is different than, the more commonly seen these days, 7- and 8-bit code used to talk to radios (rig control) and telephone modems. The specs for the serial adapter -SHOULD- state specifically what it can do in this regard, but they usually don't. And they usually support only 7- and/or 8-bit code. For example, a few years ago I bought a Rocketport PCI 8-serial port card, only to figure out later that it only supports 7- and 8-bit code. The Connect Tech White Heat USB serial adapter supposedly supports 5-bit code, but most of us have had problems with timing and other things that prevent it's use for RTTY.

You need to check out Don's pages at http://www.rttycontesting.com/usb.htm and http://www.rttycontesting.com/microham/mk.htm

The microHAM keyer apparently does FSK nicely, but it's not the only option. GL - 73 - John, WA9ALS