Re: [WriteLog] Backups

To: Robert Wood <rwood90@direcway.com>, WriteLog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Backups
From: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:24:52 +0000
I don't have personal experience with it, but I would expect the Windows
backup function to be smart enough to wait until the file closes before
doing its thing. Microsoft has experts you can ask on their web site or on
the newsgroups. A GOOGLE might turn up something useful.

But, FYI: The WL automatic functions seem to handle this very well - the
log is saved periodically according to the setting of your ini file. In
addition, a journal file keeps track of those not yet saved. The journal
file restore is automatic (if you allow it) when you get WL running again
after a power loss/whatever.

If you mostly S&P, you can set it to save after every QSO without any
slowdowns. This might not work well in a high-speed CW run situation.

I now have a UPS on the computers, and they are networked, but I ran for a
long time without these without any losses. I have seen WL recover my
recent Qs from the journal file several times.

In years of using WL, I have never lost a Q because of a log problem. YMMV,
but I doubt it.

Jerry W4UK