Re: [WriteLog] RITTY with MMTTY

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] RITTY with MMTTY
From: "David Hachadorian" <K6LL@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:25:15 -0700
From: "Rochester DX Association" <RDXA@Rochester.rr.com>
To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 10:37 AM
Subject: [WriteLog] RITTY with MMTTY

> Hi Folks,
>
> Running MMTTY (FSK) on an IBM Thinkpad laptop and would like to
> use RITTY as a cloned second decoder (for receive only).
>
> Can they both share the internal soundcard? Anyone done this or
> something similar?

-------------------------------

It's not exactly the same, but I was playing around in BARTG with
two MMTTY plug-ins running, and TrueTTY running in a separate
window. There was no problem sharing the sound card.
Incidentally, TrueTTY seems to copy just as well as MMTTY, and
maybe better on backscattered W6's, but I don't like the manual
squelch level selection. It produces too many false characters
when there is no signal present. There is also no way to plug it
in to Writelog to get the extremely valuable callsign
highlighting feature from AA5AU's database.

I also tried selecting 4 radios in Writelog setup, even though I
was only using one, and running 4 MMTTY Plug-ins with different
profiles selected. That gets you four rttyrite copy windows, with
callsign highlighting. You just have to remember not to click on
any callsigns in the three receive-only windows! That seemed to
work pretty well, but produced several cases where the
information differed among the four windows. In most of those
cases, the "Standard RTTY" profile displayed what turned out to
be the accurate info.

Isn't RITTY picky as regards to sound card manufacturer? I don't
know if it would work with your Thinkpad's onboard sound. Let us
know how you make out.

I'm still trying to improve my decoding here. I just ordered a
SoundBlaster Live 24 bit sound card to replace my on-board audio,
which has quite a bit of digital noise in its output (and maybe
on its input, too). Brad, KJ7NO, now reports that this
SoundBlaster card scores a perfect 7f on the Writelog
functionality check. I'm also hoping that the 24 bits will help
decoding. For $32, delivered, it's a cheap experiment, since I
need a sound card anyway.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ