Re: [WriteLog] PC Shuts Down w/ Serial Cable Connected

To: Bob Gates <regates@kingwoodcable.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] PC Shuts Down w/ Serial Cable Connected
From: Gordon LaPoint <n1mgo@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:22:45 -0500
> I know the COM port works because I used to have an older model APC UPS
> controller hooked to it.  Currently have a newer version that connects to a
> USB
> port.
>
> I'm at my wit's end, and I'm just getting started!  I haven't even gotten to
> the
> audio/keyer settings yet.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
>
> 73, Bob W7BJ
Bob,
  the key here might be that you used to have a UPC connected.  The
software for that might still be running, and detecting the signals from
the radio as a UPS loss of power and causing it to shut the computer
off.  Check for the software running, check in the installed hardware
and remove it if it is still listed.

--
Gordon - N1MGO
n1mgo@arrl.net