Re: [WriteLog] WL CW problem

To: SGT Korey Chandler <korey.chandler@us.army.mil>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WL CW problem
From: John E Bastin <bastinj@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 13:05:51 -0400
On May 26, 2005, at 12:31 AM, SGT Korey Chandler wrote:

> I've tried using 2 different computers to no avail. I'm running an HP
> Pavilion DV-1000 laptop with 2 each USB-to-serial converters. OS is
> WinXP
> Home.
>
> I really loved using WL during the WPX phone contest. CW is my
> favored mode
> and I'd hate to not be able to use it for contesting. It sounds too
> sloppy
> for me to use as is right now.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Your problem most likely stems from trying to use CW with a USB-to-
Serial adapter. I've had no luck with different computers and
different adapters in getting really "clean" CW. I've also been told
that driving an external keying device through the USB port would be
unlikely to solve the timing problems that are the issue.

Does that laptop have a serial port? If so, you can solve your
problem by using that for the CW interface.  If it doesn't, I would
look into a different computer for your station operation.

That's my experience. As always, YMMV.

73,

John E Bastin, K8AJS
jbastin@sssnet.com