Re: [WriteLog] Serial Numbers with networked PCs

To: "Gary Senesac AL9A" <al9a@pobox.mtaonline.net>,<writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Serial Numbers with networked PCs
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 05:52:54 -0000
"Gary Senesac AL9A" <al9a@pobox.mtaonline.net> wrote:

> No expert here on Multi stations, but I have seen considerable chatter on
> the reflector concerning the topic of serial numbers.  The short answer is
> there is no setting in WL to keep the serial numbers sequential across two
> different computers.  Each instance of WL increments its own serial number
> without regard for what the other machine is doing.

Gary

My sincere thanks for taking the time to explain the current position to me.
I understand quite well, the complexities of serial number management in a
multiple transmitter environment.  There have been a number of approaches to
dealing with the problem, used by various loggers, over the years (many of
them unsatisfactory).

I certainly appreciate the simplicity of the approach you describe, I just
wanted to understand whether Wayne had programmed any alternative options.
I now have my answer, I'm happy with it and can move on to sorting some real
problems.

Thanks again.

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F