Re: [WriteLog] Serial Numbers with networked PCs

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Serial Numbers with networked PCs
From: K4SB <k4sb@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:25:02 +0000
kd4d@comcast.net wrote:
> Unfortunately, WAE DOES require sequential serial numbers between
> the main (run) and multiplier stations.  They also don't accept
> serial numbers by band.  So, this is not a non-existent problem!  :-(
------------
Please keep in mind that I wrote contest programs on a Trash 80 back
from 78 to 80.
All in pure machine language, using a compiler of course. And my dupe
algorithm on a
1.8 mHz machine will still beat the snot out of any current program.
And yes, it is
patented, copy writed, and ever thing else.

There are 2 solutions to the WAE problem. A program which will sort
the log by serial number is the more simple, and easy.

However, should Wayne wish to work on the problem within WL, it would
seem the most
logical approach is to set aside a 2 byte buffer which holds the
serial number in
binary format. Now, using perhaps the "log the contact key", whichever
computer is selected gets that serial number, the number is
incremented by one, and so on. This also
requires that a "master" log be kept on the "run" computer.

But, as I said, combining the logs and then sorting by serial number
is much more simple. Especially when only WAE is involved.

73
Ed