Re: [WriteLog] Serial Numbers with networked PCs

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Serial Numbers with networked PCs
From: "G3SJJ" <g3sjj@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:50:37 +0100
I don't think so George but I think equipment, software and operating skills
have moved on quite rapidly in recent years. Initially when the IOTA contest
rules were drafted, there was only really CT and NA available for multi
operator contests, neither of which were interested in supporting a
pip-squeak contest. EI5DI's Super Duper did support it but only for single
ops.

Certainly one of the aspects considered at that time, some 13 years ago, was
whether the rules should accommodate the limited appeal of SD, and it was
felt that in doing so it would be the tail wagging the dog. I think that was
the right decision at that time.

Over the years the contest has grown in popularity, with leading multi-op
entries able to make over 3000 Qs in the 24 hours. Entries received have
moved from an initial couple of hundred to around 1300 now, even with the
declining sunspot cycle. As a result one of the areas the adjudicators have
looked at is this business of serial numbers and as far as I am aware
sequential numbers are not required but the advise is make sure the
recipient has received the number that you gave, which seems fair enough.

I do recall during the period when I was involved with checking that I
docked some Qs and Mults from a leading MO group who used TR, because they
had duplicate serial numbers. Thankfully times have moved on.

I would however defend a contest organiser in generally drafting rules to
support the aims of the contest rather than trying to make them fit current
software limitations.

For instance, whilst the IOTA exchange is long eg 599 2347 EU114 in
comparison to say CQWW, ENN N, I would not wish the sponsors to change it
(a) because of serial number situations like the current discussion and (b)
because people can't hack a different operating style. It would certainly be
undesirable to have numerous contests all sounding like CQWW, however great
that one is.

Apologies but one further point. Whilst I understand there has been some
relaxing of the interpretation of the rules regarding receivers, the
original idea of this event was not Multi-Multi style. The rules are quite
specific in allowing just two transceivers.

73 Chris G3SJJ, op at GU8D (multi-operator section)