[WriteLog] Paddle Keying with Writelog

To: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Paddle Keying with Writelog
From: Rick Tavan N6XI <rtavan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:26:52 -0700
If you use an ASCII keyer such as K1EL WinKey (cheap) or W5XD Multikeyer
(expensive), you can plug a paddle into the keyer and get the same
functionality - paddle speed matches computer, paddle interrupts messages,
etc. So far, I have not been able to discover enough Writelog-supported
parameters to get good paddle feel with WinKey, though. The parameters may
be there but I haven't found any documentation yet. I can send but it
doesn't feel as good as my Logikey K3 or WinKey itself when driven by its
own test program. The W5XD Multikeyer uses the same chip as WinKey but may
have better parameter support.

The upside to an external ASCII keyer is freedom from "stutter" when sending
computer-generated messages from a machine that is experiencing heavy I/O
such as from telnet spotting. I parallel the outputs of a WinKey and a
Logikey, run them into the DX Doubler and have the best of both worlds -
good paddle sending and intelligible computer sending. The Logikey has a
separate speed control which is a mixed blessing/curse.

/Rick N6XI