[WriteLog] Antennas and CC&R's

To: <pfkski@vail.net>, "'Anthony W. DePrato'" <wa4jqs@mikrotec.com>,"'Bill Coleman'" <aa4lr@arrl.net>, "'Dave W7DPW'" <w7dpw@comcast.net>
Subject: [WriteLog] Antennas and CC&R's
From: "Dr. Howard S. White" <drpaper@kleega.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:48:48 -0800
I can attest first hand to the different attitudes of people to property
rights in different countries.

When I lived in Canada, I put up towers on two houses.   Building permits
were very simple proforma documents and easy to get.  The first house was
15' 9" wide and 30' high - a typical row house.  I had a 70' tower on the
roof with a TH6DXX on it that had a 24' turning radius.. needless to say it
totally covered both house that were attached to mine.

The second house was on a 50' wide lot in a very exclusive neighborhood..It
had a 100' guyed tower sporting a huge menagerie of beams, quads and
verticals... the largest of which had a turning radius of 55'.  In neither
case did any neighbor ever complain or even comment on the towers or
antennas... except to say glad they were here in case of an emergency.
People clearly felt that you had a right to use your own property however
you wanted to.

I now live in the USA in La Jolla CA which is equivalent to my old
neighborhood in Canada.  I put up a MonstIR Antenna with a 40' turning
radius on a 85' Crank Up tower which normally nests at 25'.    My lot is 1/2
acre - 150' x 150' and heavily treed so the MonstIR is invisible to almost
every house on the street when nested.  It took me over a year and many many
$ to get a building permit.    Ironically we are on a Mt Soledad which
sprouts 94 commercial towers which are fully visible to all houses on our
street.   So relative to my old houses and to that vast array of commercial
antennas around here, my antenna is much less obtrusive.

As soon went up, the neighbors began screaming. They have posted signs all
around that say..."It's our neighborhood too  antennabegone@yahoo.com "
Everyone seems to be of the opinion that they have the right to tell me what
I can do on my property.  They have claimed that I don't need the antennas
or that I could use smaller antennas....or a lighter weight tower...or that
I should not work DX.

One neighbor was rather upset with me when I helped out during Katrina on
the 40 M SATERN Net.  She claimed my building permit only permitted me to
work local emergencies and I should not help people outside of La Jolla.
She could not comprehend that people outside of La Jolla might be called on
someday to help us..

For the "Land of the Free"  it seems that the freedom does not extend to
individual property rights.

I suggest you support the HR 3876 Bill to protect  us from CC&R's

 http://www.arrl.org/govrelations/hr3876/

Howard S. White Ph.D. P. Eng., VE3GFW/K6  ex-AE6SM  KY6LA
Website: www.ky6la.com
"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"
"Ham Antennas Save Lives - Katrina, 2003 San Diego Fires, 911"