Re: [WriteLog] Network Instability

To: "Hal Kennedy" <halken@comcast.net>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Network Instability
From: "Richard L. King" <k5na@texas.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:00:37 +0000
Hi Hal.

This happens to us every time we run Writelog in a network
configuration. It happened at least 4 times this weekend doing a
multi-op for the SS Phone.

During a multi-op here, sooner or later most of the computers
(usually at different times) will get the flickering band map and the
computer will crash. But sometimes two of them will crash at the same
time. I am running 10.55D now but the problem was happening at
Writelog levels before that also.

At first we thought it was due to having some W98 machines in the
network. So we made sure we had all XP machines and the problem still occurred.

Then we thought it was due to network traffic and we re-arranged our
strategy for distributing packet spots. but the problem still happened.

It is such a problem that I have started avoiding using the band map.
I am trying to remember if it happens when I am single-operating and
only use one computer. I don't think it does, but I am not 100
percent sure of that. Occasionally I use a networked computer as a
log backup and that may be clouding my memory. I will watch closely
this coming weekend (single-op assisted) to see if it happens.

We also use the TCP/IP selection for the local network. Some of our
computers are eithernet and some are connected by wireless.

73, Richard - K5NA

k5na@texas.net