[WriteLog] Network Instability

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Network Instability
From: "Hal Kennedy" <halken@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 09:51:58 -0500
I think we are chasing at least two problems here, but I'm not sure.
I observed the crashes at PJ2T and it has happened at WW4LL.  At PJ2T
there were three computers on the network - all 100 MHz Ethernet - no
wireless.  At WW4LL it's the same - two or three computers on 100 MHz
Ethernet - no wireless.
When network traffic gets high - as in two rigs running fast and lots of
telnet spots, one or more bandmaps will start to flicker, then the
computers with flickering bandmaps crash (WL locks up).  On several
occasions at PJ2T (running WIN98SE) I was able to close WL and observe
the windows error message that says something like: Dangerously low on
resources - suggest you close one or more programs.   There were no
other programs to close however.  Rebooting brings it all back up okay,
and the logs resync and all is well for a while, but a few hours later -
down it goes again.  The telnet spots at PJ2T come in bursts due to
having a crummy ISP - I think the crashes were most common when a burst
of 30 spots would hit all at once.

I don't see this here at N4GG, but it is very hard to test for, as I
can't generate enough network traffic.  Ill try some experiments this
weekend when spot traffic is high..

N4GG