Re: [WriteLog] Anyone have problems with XP SP2 and ByterunnerPCI serial

To: "'Barry'" <w2up@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Anyone have problems with XP SP2 and ByterunnerPCI serial boards?
From: "Anthony(N2KI)" <n2ki@amsat.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 09:26:59 -0400

Barry,

I just recently had a bout with a Byterunner PCI card and SP2.  After a hard
drive crash I had loads of trouble with the driver on SP2.  What I did was
to hack the registry using "regedit" and delete everything that referred to
VSCOM which is the driver software.  If you go to the Byterunner site, there
are updated drivers for the cards running on XP OS.  In that file, when you
extract it, is a "vsclean.exe" which is supposed to remove all the driver
files as well.  I had some trouble with it.

Eventually what I did was to physically remove the card from the system and
reboot a few times.  Make sure there are no references to VSCOM in your
registry.  Use Norton utilities to address any registry errors.  Once clean,
reinstall the card and when the OS discovers it, point the install wizard to
where you have the updated XP drivers unzipped.  The system will probably go
through 4 attempts for the driver install; one for each of your com ports.
Let me know if you need the appropriate software.

Tony - N2KI