Re: [WriteLog] (no subject)

To: "Wayne, W5XD" <w5xd@writelog.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] (no subject)
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 18:41:35 -0500
Wayne writes:

> Ford,
> Thank you for educating us all on current software engineering practices
> on your planet. I have been in the software engineering business for a
> number of years on planet Earth in the oil business. We're in need of good
> engineers now, but unfortunately your resume indicates you wouldn't make it
> in our business. TCP/IP is quite widely used, and INI files have their place
> here.
>
> Can you please find some place else to complain? Maybe you can write some
> new logging software that your planet would be proud of and we can all come
> use it?
> Thanks,
> Wayne, W5XD

Wayne,

I'd be happy to complain elsewhere.  I didn't view my comments as complaints as
much as simple observations of fact.  Nobody suggested you get rid of the INI
files.  Heck, that's how things run now.  Why you make lowly mortals tinker
with your programming INI files is beyond me.  Every time somebody screws up an
INI, it's a reflection on you, not them.

Apparently, in the "oil business," you don't have to provide good service, or
value--just product--complete with a true Texas style "take it or leave it"
attitude.  On my planet, people complain to vendors that create problems.  On
my planet, vendors view comments from customers with an eye towards improving
their product.  On my planet, which by the way is the third planet from the
Sun, customers beat the doors down on stores that have good value for good
price.  The $30 you guys charge is quite a bargain in my world.  Of course,
this assumes that the product actually works as advertised.

Like I said, I've used the product for years, I like the product, and am
frustrated that it no longer works as expected.  If making these observations
is viewed as unwelcomed 'complaints,' then I guess I will just have to sit back
and wait for the true Texan "get her done" attitude to take hold once again.
Meanwhile, I'll continue my quest for a M/M logging solution.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com