Re: [WriteLog] Percieved nasty whining

To: "'Wayne, W5XD'" <w5xd@writelog.com>,"'WRITELOG REFLECTOR'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Percieved nasty whining
From: "Mike Valentine - W8MM" <mike@valentine.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 21:01:07 -0400
Wayne,

I am the guy who originally persuaded you to include transceiver offsets for
VHF/UHF contesting and helped you debug the serial port drivers for the
JST-245.  That's a LONG time ago. Version 6 on 1.44 floppies as I recall.
I've paid for a whole bunch of version upgrades over the years and I
patiently waited for YEARS to get some VHF contesting bugs fixed that you
back-burnered or didn't believe were broken for your own particular reasons.

I'm happy that Writelog has continued to be supported over the years, but I
no longer use it.  Why?  Because it is so difficult to get running correctly
if one does not have a secret decoder card for the .ini files.  One would
think that a commented, sample file wouldn't so hard to include with the
distributed program.  Yes, I've tried to use various web sites that purport
to explain the mysteries of proper .ini setup.  I guess I'm too dumb or
value my time too highly to be able to figure it out, even though I have a
degree in electrical engineering from a reputable institution.  My degree is
not in computer science and I don't write code for a living, so I may be out
of luck.

Your testy reply to Mr. Ford only convinced me that you preferred to shoot
the messenger, instead of gleaning some useful items for a responsible "to
do" list.

I'm disappointed that it has come to this.  It's no personal attack to point
out a sticking point of frustration for so many users and potential users.
While there may be good reasons to structure a program in a particular way,
it doesn't seem correct for that structure to receive little explanation and
less support for its out of ordinary requirements.

Wishing you the best,

Mike - W8MM (ex-WA8MSF)