Re: [WriteLog] Newbie

To: "Writelog reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Newbie
From: "Garry Shapiro" <garry@ni6t.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:35:47 -0700
Twp years ago, when my contest club, NCCC, was organizing to "take back the
gavel"--the symbol of victory in the SS for Unlimited Clubs, we tried to put
everyone in a chair for the Sweepstakes. My oldest friend--a competent CW
op-- decided to participate, but had never done a contest, or had even used
computer logging. I helped him reconfigure his station, set up Writelog for
a multi-single effort, and elmered him through.

Now that is a steep learning curve and he was overwhelmed and totally
freaked out. But I operated the first six hours with him looking over my
shoulder at every button push and keyboard entry. Finally, I left to start
over with my own station at home, and he continued on his own---and did
damned well! Two weeks later, much to my surprise, he did the phone SS
completely on his own, after I set up WL for him. Last year he contributed
150K points to the Club effort and is totally stoked.

He still requests my help in setting up Writelog, which appears to have been
more daunting to him than actually operating the contest.

I would advise that you consider starting with a low-intensity contest, such
as one of the State QSO parties. Lots of fun and no pressure. The California
QSO party happens in two weeks; lots of newbies and casual ops participate,
especially County hunters. The prizes are definitely worthwhile, including
bottles of very good California wine.

Garry, NI6T