Re: [WriteLog] Best sound card?

To: DBellW6AQ@aol.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Best sound card?
From: Georgek5kg@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 14:03:52 EDT

In a message dated 10/1/2006 1:48:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
DBellW6AQ@aol.com writes:

I just  got a new desktop computer running XP Home and want to get the best
sound card, with Line In and Line Out plus speakers and mic for use   with
WriteLog and microKEYER.

Is there a best  one?

Thanks and 73, Dave, W6AQ

Hi Dave,

I got into making some home movies from digital video tapes last year, and
purchased Pinnacle Software's Studio Plus to do the editing.  I then
discovered that I needed a high end sound card to support that software.  I
ended up
selecting an NVIDIA G-Force 6200oc (oc=overclocked) card with 256  megs of
memory.  It did the trick.  I think the cost was about  $250 or so.

I am now using that card to record "CQ contest" wave files directly from a
Heil mic for my DVK messages that I will use with N1MM Logger in CQWW SSB from
NP2B.  They are coming out just fine with excellent audio  quality.  The Heil
mic plugs directly into the sound card's  mic-in jack without requiring any
adaptor.  My computer speakers plug  directly into the line-out jack.

I didn't know much about sound cards at the time, and still don't,  hi.  I
did discover that there are quite a range of products, and  some get pretty
expensive.  I think it is the gammers who push this  market.  Your geeks at
Best
Buy or Circuit City could probably give you  some direction about what is
good-better-best in today's market.

GL es 73, George, K5KG

George  Wagner, K5KG
941-312-9420