Re: [WriteLog] CQP Cabrillo Errors

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] CQP Cabrillo Errors
From: "Garry Shapiro" <garry@ni6t.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 22:29:56 -0700
Ed:

With all due respect...

CQP is a contest created, organized, sponsored, administered and promoted by
the Northern California Contest Club. CQP is NOT an event sponsored or
administered by County Hunters. How the California counties are abbreviated
for CQP is the province of the contest organizers, who do not require the
sanction, approval or permission of any other organization in any other
State or country.

The four-letter abbreviations instituted this year were intended to enhance
and optimize the CQP experience by elimination of ambiguities in the
original set, and were carefully studied, discussed and argued before
adoption. The organizers recognized that the transition might initially
surprise some participants, that some would prefer the old set and that the
extensive pre-event publicity given to the changes might not reach every
participant. I heard many experienced participants--some
intentionally--using the old set, e.g. SDGO instead of SDIE for San Diego
County.

For Writelog, all that was required was to replace the previous namedmul.ini
file with the latest one. That file is available on the Writelog site under
downloads: http://www.writelog.com/Downloads/Namedmul12Jun2006.zip

In addition, a printable list of all abbreviations--the 58 California
counties and the 58 W and VE states and provinces--is available in large
type from the CQP page, at http://www.cqp.org/pdf/cqp_mults.pdf

For those who were unaware of the changes---no problem! There is no penalty
for having used part or all of the old set--the log check software will take
care of it.

Experienced contesters are well aware that updates to both program and
support files are regularly released, both to improve functionality and to
reflect changes in the world. Just as any enlightened user will check for
updates and install the latest .cty files before, say, CQWW, he will
likewise seek out the latest files for any other contest he plans to work.

Garry, NI6T
(operated N6IJ in MONT)