Re: [WriteLog] Winkey speed control question

To: <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Winkey speed control question
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 20:26:47 -0500
Hans,

It is theoretically possible for a program to maintain its own
internal speed for program generated CW and the "pot speed" for
paddle sent CW.  Here is something I wrote some time ago:

WinKey knows three "speeds"

  1) the analog speed control pot
     - this value is determined from the setup parameters:
         MINWPM, SPEEDRANGE and the value of the control pot.
     - this value is returned to the application program
     - WinKey will notify the controlling application when
         the speed pot is changed
     - When the pot is changed, WinKey's "current speed" is
         set to that of the pot and any buffered (temporary)
         speed changes (see #3) are cancelled.

  2) the current speed from the "Set WPM Speed" <02 nn H>
     - if nn = 00, the pot setting is used

  3) a temporary speed from the "Change Speed Buffered"
     command <1C nn H>.  This command is generally inserted
     in a message stream and causes a change the speed when it
     is executed.

     The temporary speed is cancelled and the last speed from
     "Set WPM Speed" restored by either:

        A) Cancel [buffered] speed change <1E H>
        B) An new "Set WPM Speed" command (including a
           change of speed pot)

Maintaining separate speeds for computer sent and paddle sent
CW involves:

   1) do "Set WPM speed" to the current (computer) speed at
          the beginning of each macro
   2) do "Set WPM speed" to 00 to restore the speed pot setting
          AFTER THE MACRO IS DONE.

Latency (e.g. lag in sending the initial character) and additional
processing overhead will be dependent on program structure.

There are some other considerations:

   1) the paddles will be at the "computer" speed not the "pot
         speed" if the user uses the paddles to interrupt a
         message in progress unless the program issues a "Set WPM
         Speed 00" and the "Clear buffer" command when detecting
         the interrupt
   2) chaining messages (e.g., F2 + F5) will result in a speed
         reset/set between macros.  I do not know if this will
         result in a significant pause - it may be software
         specific.

Note: Setting the WinKey speed to the speed pot value after each
macro and the current computer speed at the start of each macro
would have the advantage of "zeroing out" any unbalanced speed
changes ("<<<" and ">>>") contained in the macros thus keeping
the program and WinKey in sync.

Use of "Change Speed Buffered" <1C nn>, is probably best reserved
for use within a macro and matched with a "Cancel Buffered Speed
Change"  <1E> or "Set WPM Speed" <02 nn> at the end of each macro
to sync WinKey and the application.

The logic is relatively straightforward but there are those who
would prefer the program and keyer always work a the same speed.
Satisfying both sets of users adds a bit of programming complexity
- even if it is in the form of a "preference" or set-up item.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV