Re: [WriteLog] Writelog and CW

To: writelog@CONTESTING.COM
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Writelog and CW
From: Dave N6NZ <n6nz@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 09:48:14 -0800
About two years ago I was in the same place, antique logging computer
badly needing replacement.  I am very happy about the upgrade, but in
the end added the MK-1100 because I could never get any of the parallel
port drivers to get happy with my Shuttle system and XP.  Oddly, I
actually experienced a couple of sending issues this past weekend using
  the MK-1100.  Anyway, computers are cheap enough now that you can get
a spiffy logging computer and still have enough cash left to add keying
hardware. IMHO it's a case where you simply shrug, hand over the cash,
and get on with making QSO's -- I'd rather fight other problems.

Microsoft's logic in locking down the parallel port escapes me -- or are
all those viruses and  spyware coming in through the parallel port?

I *do* think now is a good time to upgrade, while you can still get XP!
  Vista sounds like a can of worms -- didit didit -- can of snakes, and
who knows what new issues Writelog and the rest of your life will have
with Vista.  It sounds like computer retailers are expecting slow sales
this Christmas season because people are waiting for Vista, so there may
be some good sales on hardware.

-n6nz