Re: [WriteLog] WL CW operation problems

To: "'.'" <ve2lx@sympatico.ca>,"'WL posting'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WL CW operation problems
From: "Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <lists@w1nr.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 05:47:08 -0500
You need to do the following in the ports setup:
        1. Check button for CW port
        2. Select PC Generates
        3. Check All mode PTT on CW port RTS
        4. Hit CW PTT button and select COMM RTS
Wait a minute?  COMM RTS?  Is that your issue?  RTS vs. DTR?  Doesn't DTR
generate CW not PTT?

RTTY is generated by the serial port chip, not by the PC like CW.  That's
why you need a true 16450  (16550) compatible serial port that will generate
5 bits on TxD.  Most of the new USB adapters only do 7 or 8 bit and can't be
set to do 5 bit (baudot) codes.

Also, a feature of Windows is that two separate processes can't share a
serial port, so PTT and CW needs to be on one port and RTTY on another.  I
get around this by deselecting CW in ports and selecting the same port in
RTTY mode.

Mike, W1NR